A Protective Barrier to Prevent Cavities
Do you want to keep your teeth healthy and strong for years to come? One of the best ways to do so is by getting dental sealants. Dental sealants are thin coatings of plastic applied to the biting surfaces of your back teeth. Our Silver Spring Dentist, Dr. Alice Bassford, uses these sealants to create a barrier that protects your teeth from decay and cavities.
Discover the benefits and uses of dental sealants in Silver Spring, MD, with Dr. Bassford’s comprehensive guide.
What Are Dental Sealants?
Dental sealants are a preventive treatment that can help keep your teeth healthy and strong. They’re made from a plastic material applied to the chewing surfaces of your back teeth, where tooth decay is most likely to occur. The sealant forms a protective barrier that prevents bacteria and food particles from getting trapped in the grooves of your teeth, which can lead to cavities and other oral health problems.
Dental sealants are an excellent preventive treatment for children and teenagers, as they’re most susceptible to cavities when their permanent teeth are developing. However, adults can also benefit from sealants, especially if there are deep grooves or fissures in their teeth that are difficult to clean.
How Are Dental Sealants Applied?
Getting dental sealants is a quick and painless process that can be completed in just one visit to the dentist. Here’s how it works:
- First, the teeth that will receive the sealants are cleaned and dried.
- A solution is applied to the teeth to help the sealant bond more effectively.
- The sealant material is then painted onto the chewing surfaces of the teeth and allowed to dry.
- A special curing light hardens the sealant and creates a strong bond with the tooth.
What Are the Benefits of Dental Sealants?
Dental sealants have several benefits, including:
- Preventing Cavities: Dental sealants create a barrier on the biting surfaces of the teeth, preventing food particles and bacteria from getting stuck in the grooves and causing cavities.
- Saving Money: Preventing cavities with dental sealants can save you money in the long run by avoiding the need for expensive dental treatments like fillings and root canals.
- Easy to Apply: Getting dental sealants is a quick and painless process that can be completed in just one visit to the dentist.
- Safe and Effective: Dental sealants have been used for decades to protect teeth from decay and cavities, and studies have shown that they are a safe and effective preventive treatment.
- Suitable for All Ages: While dental sealants are particularly effective for children and teenagers, adults can also benefit from sealants, especially if they have deep grooves or fissures in their teeth that are difficult to clean.
Maintaining Dental Sealants
Dental sealants can last for several years with proper care and maintenance. Here’s how to best keep your dental sealants protecting your teeth for years to come:
- Brush and Floss Regularly: While dental sealants create a barrier that helps prevent cavities, it’s still vital to brush and floss regularly to remove any plaque or food particles trapped in other areas of your teeth.
- Avoid Hard or Sticky Foods: Chewing on hard objects like ice or biting into sticky foods like taffy can damage your dental sealants and increase your risk of developing cavities.
- Visit Your Dentist Regularly: Regular dental check-ups and cleanings can help ensure that your dental sealants are still in good condition and effectively protect your teeth.
- Use Fluoride Toothpaste: Using toothpaste with fluoride can help strengthen your tooth enamel and make it more resistant to decay.
- Don’t Grind Your Teeth: Teeth grinding can wear down your dental sealants over time, so speak with Dr. Bassford if you suffer from teeth grinding.
Frequently Asked Questions
Many dental insurance plans cover the cost of dental sealants, as sealants are often considered preventive. However, check with your insurance provider before your appointment to see if this treatment is covered under your plan.
No, getting dental sealants is a painless and non-invasive procedure. Most people don’t experience any discomfort during or after the treatment, and no pain management is necessary.
While dental sealants are highly effective at preventing cavities, they can’t guarantee you’ll never get one. It’s still essential to maintain good oral hygiene habits like brushing and flossing regularly and visiting your dentist for regular check-ups and cleanings.
Yes, dental sealants can be an excellent option for patients of all ages. Although dentists routinely recommend this treatment for children and teens, sealants also work well for adult patients with large grooves in the chewing surfaces of their teeth. Discuss your eligibility for dental sealants with your dentist at your routine dental checkup.
Contact Ase Dental to Discuss Dental Sealants Today
If you want to keep your teeth healthy and strong for years to come, dental sealants in Silver Spring might be the solution you need. This preventive treatment is affordable, painless, and highly effective at preventing cavities and decay.
Contact Dr. Bassford in Silver Spring today by calling (301) 593-5500 or filling out our online contact form to learn more about dental sealants. We’re happy to provide our affordable dentistry services to the surrounding communities of Kensington and Wheaton-Glenmont, MD.